Forum Menschenrechte (FMR) is a network of more than 50 German non-governmental organizations (NGOs) who are committed to better and more comprehensive protection of human rights – worldwide, in specific regions of the world, within countries and also within the Federal Republic of Germany. The Forum was established in 1994 following the International Human Rights Conference in Vienna.
- to monitor critically the human rights policy of the German Government and the German Bundestag (parliament) at both the national and international level;
- to implement joint projects with the aim of improving the protection of human rights worldwide;
- to create an awareness about human rights issues amongst the German public at large, to draw attention, when required, to human rights violations in Germany and to work for their resolution;
- to guarantee an exchange of all relevant informations on human rights issues between the member organizations;
- to support local, regional and national NGOs in the international aspects of their work and to promote an international network of NGOs in general.
How we work:
Various working groups of the Forum are responsible for preparing joint statements and information material and for organizing campaigns, public meetings and forums of experts. The FORUM MENSCHENRECHTE is closely cooperating with NGOs at both the European and international level.
FMR-activities are coordinated by a board of usually eight persons elected by the affiliates of the Forum, representing the entire spectrum of member organizations. Members of the coordination board of the FMR are since January 2016:
Dr. Andrea Berg, Amnesty International
Elise Bittenbinder, Bundesarbeitsgemeinschaft der psychosozialen Zentren für Flüchtlinge und Folteropfer
Günter Burkhardt, PRO ASYL
Dr. Julia Duchrow, Brot für die Welt
Dr. Michael Krennerich, Nürnberger Menschenrechtszentrum
Dr. Daniel Legutke, Deutsche Kommission justitia et pax
Dr. Jochen Motte, Vereinte Evangelische Mission
Antje Ruhmann, terre des hommes
The FMR-Office has its seat in the „Haus der Demokratie und Menschenrechte“ in Berlin. The Forum funds its activities through contributions from its affiliated organizations.